Schools in Wales are given funding on a ‘per pupil’ basis specifically to support and ensure comparable progress for all pupils in receipt of Free School Meals. Schools have to draw up detailed plans on how they will spend this money and then they have to show the progress that each pupil has made against the spending. All schools are required to publish the following information on their website about their PDG Funding:
- The school’s current Free School Meal population is under 10% of our pupils.
- This is the same as the population for the previous year.
- The school uses PDG funding to support pupils who currently receive Free School Meal, prioritising those with the greatest need.
- The school undertakes the following activities in order to support pupils facing the challenges of poverty and deprivation:
- Appointing a member of the Senior Leadership Team to lead on supporting and monitoring progress of pupils in receipt of Free School Meals including 1-2-1 working, catch up and mentoring programmes;
- Purchase of resources to support this work
- Training in literacy and numeracy intervention for TAs to support this role
- The school’s PDG and Education Achievement Grant plans are regularly scrutinised by the Governing Body, supported by advice from the EAS (Educational Achievement Service) and monitored by the Local Authority.